Friday, July 18, 2008

Dorito Casserole

Yes, I said "Dorito Casserole!" This is one of those indulgences that you can have once,
maybe twice, a year. Let's just say I'm not going to calculate the calories on this dish. (It's worth it, though!)

I was lucky enough to have my nephew, Charles, stay with us for 11 days. We made Dorito casserole one night, though I really should say he made Dorito casserole one night, after a long day of swimming and slushy drinking.


Dorito Casserole

1 lb ground beef (or ground turkey, but why? You might as well just go all out.)
1 package taco seasoning, or 2 tbsp chili powder, 1 tbsp cumin, 1 tsp garlic powder and onion powder
1 can cheese soup (we used Campbell's Fiesta Nacho Cheese soup )
1 can Rotel (any flavor you want)
1 bag Doritos (any flavor you want)
1/2 cup Cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350.
Brown the meat till cooked thoroughly. Drain the fat, and mix in the seasoning.
Then mix in the cheese soup.
In a casserole dish, crush a layer of Doritos (don't crush them too small). Top with the cheese and beef mixture, then top with a layer of Rotel. Keep layering till you use up everything, finishing off with a layer of Doritos and topping it with cheese.
Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.

At an attempt to get some "healthiness" into this casserole, I topped my serving with shredded lettuce and tomatoes. Then I negated the "healthiness" by adding sour cream. Ha! It doesn't matter, though. It was sinfully delicious. And having a 7-year-old around helped me burn those extra calories, so I can't complain.



Posted by Picasa

No comments: