Sunday, April 20, 2008

Chocolate Mousse

A craving for chocolate can only be remedied by chocolate. If that isn't already a scientific fact, it should be. Far be it from me to defy my new law of science to resist chocolate when only chocolate will do. This is my first attempt at chocolate mousse, and what I learned is that you must have everything close by and ready, and you must have patience.


Chocolate Mousse

3 oz bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (I used chocolate chips because that's what I had on hand)
8 oz cold heavy cream
2 large egg whites
1 oz sugar


Place chocolate in a large bowl and melt over boiling water. Stir the chocolate until melted.
Turn off the heat and let stand.

Beat the cold heavy cream until it begins to form soft peaks.
Whip eggs until they reach the same consistency as the cream.
Gradually add sugar while continuing to whip the egg whites.


Remove the chocolate bowl from the pot and, using a whisk, fold in all the egg whites.
When the whites have almost disappeared, fold in the whipped cream.
Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour, but overnight is best.


Note: Seriously, overnight is best. One hour hardly did anything to the consistency of my mousse. I gave up looking at it for the whole day, and I was pleasantly surprised the next day with a creamy but well-set mousse.








Posted by Picasa

No comments: