Thursday, February 21, 2008

Turkey Chili


One of our friends, Forrest, has been talking about chili lately. His office is having a chili cook-off. Since it's a little cold today, and I've had chili on my mind, I made chili for lunch.


The funny thing about chili is that everyone I know who already has a recipe for chili is most likely not going to change that recipe. I did, however, try something different today, and I think it's a keeper.


This recipe includes adobo chile, something that I tried for the first time last week. Technically it's chipotle chile in adobo sauce. A chipotle is a smoked jalapeno. The adobo sauce is made from vinegar, spices, and tomato sauce. I used both the chile and the sauce in my recipe.


The adobo chile and the cayenne in the recipe give the chili a back-of-the-mouth heat while the Tabasco gives it an initial bite. We like to use ground turkey because we try to keep the red-meat intake at home to a minimum. And we like lots of beans so I use three different types (mostly for color).
I like to top my chili with cheddar and sour cream.


Turkey Chili

1 lb ground turkey (85/15 is best)
1 can black beans (14.5 oz)
1 can kidney beans (14.5 oz)
1 can pinto beans (14.5 oz)
1 can diced tomato (28 oz)
1 can adobo chiles
¼ cup chili powder
2 tbsp cumin
2 tsp onion powder (or dried onion)
1 tsp garlic powder
½ tsp cayenne
Tabasco sauce
Salt to taste

In a small food processor, chop 4-5 adobo chiles with about ¼ cup of diced tomatoes. (You will have leftover chiles – you can keep these in a plastic bag in the fridge for a few weeks).
Brown the ground turkey in a large Dutch oven. With ground turkey, you have to keep separating the meat while it is cooking, or you’ll get big chunks of turkey.
Once the turkey is browned, add your adobo chile and tomato mix. Mix to combine.
Add beans, the remaining tomatoes, and the spices.
Allow chili to simmer for at least 15 minutes.
Add tabasco to taste.
Add salt to taste.
**Update: Forrest's chili won Most Beautiful Chili. Maybe he will share his recipe with us!**

No comments: