Thursday, February 28, 2008

Good For What Ails Ya (Ancient Chinese Recipe)...


...if what ails you is a cold, a sore throat, a stopped-up nose...you get what I'm saying.

Well that's what is ailing me - I guess I picked up a bug from someone a few days ago.

When I was lucky enough to have my mom around to take care of me when I got sick, she would make us this (ancient Chinese!) recipe to help me feel a little better. So whenever I catch a cold, I make it for myself.


1 sweet potato
1 medium-sized ginger root
water
brown sugar


Peel one sweet potato and cut into 1 ½ to 2 inch cubes.
Peel the ginger and slice – doesn’t have to be perfect because you’re not going to eat the ginger.
Throw your potatoes and ginger into a medium sized pot. Pour enough water to cover the potatoes and then a little more. About 4-6 cups of water.
Add ¼ to ½ cup of brown sugar – depends on how sweet you want it. You might start out with less and work your way up.
Bring to a boil and simmer for 30-45 minutes.

Serve hot and sip like coffee or tea.


I like mine sweet, so I make sure to put enough brown sugar. It all depends on your taste. Besides, the ginger is the active ingredient in this recipe, so just be sure to have enough of it in your soup.


I read somewhere that ginger is as effective for nausea as Dramamine. I also read that ginger was known for its warming action on the upper respiratory tract. I can attest to the fact that when I drink this soup, my nasal passages immediately clear up. Anyone who walks in the house while you're making this soup will agree.

I don't know what the purpose of the sweet potato is, but it's delicious and that's good enough for me.

No comments: