Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Chocolate Cherry Muffins


I was at Central Market in Fort Worth the other day, just browsing my favorite section of the store: the bulk foods section.
I could spend an hour in this area. They offer dried fruits, flours, beans, candies, spices, coffee, rice, and pasta. It's like the Jelly Belly section at Target but for adults (though I like to spend time at the Jelly Belly section too).
Anyway, I bought some dried cherries because I'd never had any. I ate nearly half the bag before I got home which is why this recipe makes only a small batch of muffins! I thought I'd pair them with chocolate because I love chocolate and cherries.


1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1/2 cup sour cream
1/3 cup milk
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup chocolate chips (you can use milk chocolate, though I used semi-sweet)
1/2 cup dried cherries, roughly chopped

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners
Into a bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Melt butter and in a small bowl whisk together with sour cream, milk, egg, and vanilla.
Stir butter mixture, chocolate chips, and cherries into flour mixture just until combined (don't overmix, please!)
Using a 1/3 measuring cup, scoop muffin mix into lined muffin cups.
Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean.

No comments: