Thursday, March 27, 2008

Sesame Tofu and Bok Choy

I found this recipe in Prevention magazine. When I got my first issue, my boyfriend said, why do you have an old-people magazine? I didn't realize that Prevention is mostly for people over 50 until I started looking at the ads inside. Some examples: Women's Ultra Mega 50 plus, vitamins for aging well; Poise Ultra Thins for bladder control; Enablex for reducing bladder leaks. Don't get me wrong - I love people over 50 and I'm happy that they have this fantastic magazine, I just didn't realize it was targeted to this age group. Nonetheless, they have some good recipes in there sometimes, and this one caught my eye (it has been slightly modified):

2 tbsp sesame seeds
1 pkg firm tofu, drained and cut into bite size cubes
4 tbsp sesame oil
1-2 lbs bok choy, cut into 1" pieces (I forgot to do this)
2 tbsp finely chopped (or grated) ginger
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp lower sodium soy sauce

1. Place the sesame seeds in a bowl and roll tofu around to coat the cubes.
2. Heat 2 tsp of sesame oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add tofu and cook, turning occasionally until golden brown on all sides (about 10 min)
3. Heat remaining oil in another skillet over high heat; add bok choy, garlic, and ginger and stir-fry 4 mins. Toss in tofu and soy sauce and heat through.

Serve with steamed rice.

This recipe was really easy and apparently bok choy contains glucosinates which fight cancer. If you can't find bok choy, you can use broccoli or kale.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: